Skip to main content

Meeting Topic: "We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others"

 "Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. "Alcoholics Anonymous, The Family Afterward, p. 132

Things that people stuff away or pretend didn't happen we can look at and laugh about because it doesn't own us. That doesn't mean I've normalized the tragic experiences, events or behavior, it means that I am not a victim of it or using it to define me. When "It" doesn't define me it's put it in a state of neutrality because I've owned it and accounted for it thoroughly through the Steps. 

Through the daily reprieve of 10, 11 and 12; this allows me to expand me spiritual resonance to gain a deeper understanding behind the things that once drove me. When I can use that experience in service to relate, instead of succumbing to it, the energy of it changes from negative to positive.When I am not negatively charged it no longer has the strength to oppress, depress, possess or feed off me. I was given the eyes to see the reality of what I was trying to maintain and uphold and I saw and a stressed out shell of a little creature projecting distractions and noise onto a screen like in the wizard of oz.

My ego was the man pushing all those buttons to make myself look large and that I had control. There isn't real power in that because it is at the expense of others-I needed their energy to power up what I was doing, or did for "their" approval or disapproval so I could rebel against, even if they didn't ask for the privilege to be captivated in my self destructive, self obsessed construct. Real power is not in doing things to captivate others attention-it's by facing what and who is really behind what's being projected on the big green screen with smoke, mirrors in a booming loud voice saying "PAY NO ATTENTION to the man behind the curtain!!!" 

"Toto" or God, overrides the ego by revealing the truth behind the curtain by giving me the courage to face it and releasing those I held captive. When you see the truth you no longer need to go to such lengths to keep lies going. With all that extra energy that power can be channeled into being of service by helping others to foster in, or bridge to the Source of courage that helps them to pull back the curtain back and bring those things to light-and that is the proper use of power and self will. 

Wisdom can't be taught, it has to acquired by going through it and coming out on the other side. Purposeful power is then transmitted through our ESH and in sponsoring/working with others. Integrity is not a metal contract as that too can only be manifested through boots on the ground intensive work. Anyone can memorize information and parriott it-a warrior for God is anonymous and and doesn't need attention or require praise to simply doing the right thing when nobody's watching. 

I love reading quotes or passages that are referenced as -Anonymous because I know they didn't need to be known. Some have suggested that it's because they were women who said it and "back in the old days" women didn't get credit. To that I say, why would someone want credit for something that's not theirs?? Credit means you have to pay it back. The spirit of anonymity, is free and anything that involves egoic or material gain you will have to pay back in some way eventually. All those that put - Anonymous  it, understood that all they did was to clear the channel that taps into the ether to formulate into words through their experience with old information. There is nothing new under the sun-this is simple my experience with old information. 

"Moved by the spirit of anonymity, we try to give up our natural desires for personal distinction as A.A. members both among fellow alcoholics and before the general public. As we lay aside these very human aspirations, we believe that each of us takes part in the weaving of a protective mantle which covers our whole Society and under which we may grow and work in unity. We are sure that humility, expressed by anonymity, is the greatest safeguard that Alcoholics Anonymous can ever have." 12x12