Skip to main content

Meeting Topic: Outside Issues (seeking help for other issues)

 Thank goodness for Tradition 10.

“Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.”

“No A.A. group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues — particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatsoever.”


"The relationship of the tenth tradition to the tenth step is this: I can be at peace and avoid outside issues by taking my inventory and not yours. I avoid controversy by taking stands with the attitude of a peacemaker. The tenth concept of service takes the process one step further and specifies what kind of inventory I should be writing about: The responsibilities for which God has given me authority.

The tenth step poses the question, “How can I survive successfully in the world by taking my own inventory and promptly admitting it when I am wrong?” The tenth tradition supplies the answer; “I survive by being a peacemaker with you because I am at peace with myself through my own inventories.”

(Excerpts from the text above come from the Traditions Study developed by the Unity Insures Recovery Through Service A.A. Group, Los Angeles, CA.)
***************************************************************
It's not my business what anyone is doing to treat thier outside issues-just like I don't go to the doctor and explain to them why I'm in AA. If I need to broadcast my outside issues it is because I need validation for seeking other resources. I have done this so I can speak to it and through and upon reflection, and with the ability to self correct and learn, I see that I needed to create division because I was addicted to chaos and drama. My motives were not to be of service because if they were they would be in the realm of alcoholism in an AA meeting, not my personal outside issues even though I justified as such. This just causes confusion because in AA we are seeking a spiritual solution for our spiritual malady which also includes defects that manifest as behavioral and mental issues. 

So, not everyone is seeking outside help for these things and some have found that by incorporating the principles in all their affairs has kept them adequately growing in the container of that walk. If that's not you, cool, it's not business-just don't detour a newcomer or sponsee from taking the spiritual route if they bring these things up. They maybe the kind that doesn't need outside help and can be taught to self source.  At this point everyone knows these services are available as my husband is the head of our Behavioral Health Services and a RN-I just would like AA to remain around for those seeking a Spiritual Solution to a Spiritual Problem. More often than not, the same power that can remove my compulsion to drink poison water as a solution, can also work in other areas of unmanageability and compulsions too, provided I have the ability to be honest, consistent and work the Steps daily. 

AA doesn't even claim to be the only way for alcoholism, let alone defects, or any outside issues-but if you are here it's because you want that way. If you don't, cool, just sit back and listen. Just like I don't go to my husband's job and preach AA or God...they know we are here, they just want that way and that's fine..not my business until they ask me to sponsor them through the way of the 12 Steps of AA.  Again, I know from experience in doing it with intention to "help"....when in all actuality I was being used by a defect to get high of excitement just like the jaywalker. Our bodies produce powerful chemicals that are intended to lift a car off a baby, dull pain if arm is cut off, and in the dying process (in my opinion-not AA) when I am using those chemicals to generate excitement, controversy or chaos instead, this is a major misuse of the bodies resources.

If I get depressed, oppressed, bored, sad, whatever, I will look for ways to generate something so that my body will produce the chemicals that again are being misused and misdirect because I am addicted to them.  But, our body doesn't have an infinite supply of this, so again we may think we are experiencing depression instead of cortisol and adrenal fatigue. In my opinion we have been grossly misinformed and gravely misguided which altered our neurology responses to handle life. I can't handle anything without God-period. And until I knew that, I didn't know that. The good news is that I can bring God into my outside issues by asking God to be with me while I'm doing it, taking it, or contributing to it. If my conscious get pierced and I experience discomfort by what I'm doing I can :
A. Double down and allow my ego to justify
B. I can take my inventory and ask God why I felt unforgettable about doing that.

This helped me to rewire my gut brain complex instead of ignoring and justifying things my gut said wasn't in my best interest. After years and years of ignoring my gut and doing it anyway, I had to allow for the removal of a lot of faulty wiring and the residue of a life lived upon self will and justifying the misalignment. And that is A LOT of work. It just is. I must do a lot of inventory and employ a lot of denial of self and old ways to be made whole. If I want that-if I don't, fine, no big deal-but, just again, don't deter anyone from the route of ego annihilation 

There is nothing outside of God who is inside of me. When I take my inventory, my own inventory and I'm not distracted by someone else's inventory I can see that clearly. It's much easier to distract from my inside issues and then normalize the outside ones so that I can justify whatever I am doing. I am not speaking to or about the chair, or anyone in particular...I am speaking, as I always do, from my personal  experience and my perception of that experience expands as I grow in my connection to God that reveals truth when I am ready to receive it. If someone wants to get outside help with anything from a stubbed toe to labodmy that's not my business. My business is to go within and ask why I am bothered by someone's choices or someone's inaction and that will always point to me and my inability to establish and live within my personal boundaries.