Skip to main content

Meeting Topic-The Value of Sobreity

 Value, or valor (latin) in its earliest modern American englishish is defined as:

1. Worth; that property or those properties of a thing which render it useful or estimable; or the degree of that property or of such properties. The real value of a thing is its utility, its power or capacity of procuring or producing good. Hence the real or intrinsic value of iron, is far greater than that of gold. But there is, in many things, an estimated value depending on opinion or fashion, such as the value of precious stones. The value of land depends on its fertility, or on its vicinity to a market, or on both. -Websters 1828 

Valor means great courage, bravery, and strength of mind, especially in the face of danger or in battle.
Core Definition and Uses
Bravery: Personal courage shown during tough or dangerous situations, like military combat.
Word Origin: Comes from Latin roots meaning to be strong or worth.
*******************
So really, I guess the value or worth of my sobriety is directly related to the fertility of it and what it produces. Since I really have NO idea what the outcome of any of this is and God is the only source I assign my value to-I suppose I will just continue to suit up and show up for God by chopping  wood and carrying water.

Any outside bonuses I get like a roof over my head, food, clothes, and another day without being hung over is a gift and when I have the spirit of gratitude by practicing it daily, including and applying the principles to all my affairs, then I am less like to carry the spirit of oppression/depression which is heavy and dark. Hard work, getting outside, using hands, going to bed tired from working in my yard, getting up early with the sun and adhering to the simple spiritual structure I have been able to develop self discipline because I put God first. In doing this, I no longer feel heavy, constricted, oppressed, depressed, pressed by pressure on my spirit that takes my life force energy because I didn't know I needed to actually invite God in everyday. It's not a one and done deal. If I do not put real effort daily into my sobriety and my relationship to God, then I run the risk of being hijacked by the darkness of depression. 

I would much rather get up with the Sun and ask God how I can use my life, my body, my time, my energy, that I tried to destroy, to serve. And sometimes that just means getting off the screen and doing something that I was designed to do instead. I know I wasn't created to sit here and the computer all day, indulge in fear porn or games on my phone-I was designed to use my hands and to look around at the real world-not the one projected into my eyes by actors, AI or talking heads. I can experience life, or be taken down by it. God didn't get me sober so I could forfeit my autonomy to a screen or an oppressive spirit that I invite in everyday instead of God by using it as my litmus test for how I see the world. Not sure where all this is coming from or who needs to hear it..but there you go. It's not my business anyway! LOL!!